top of page

Football drops game against WestConn

Adrien Gobin / THE GATEPOST

By Adam Levine

Sports Editor

By Dante Curry

Staff Writer

The Framingham State Rams lost to the Western Connecticut State University Wolves 56-34 in a MASCAC matchup at Bowditch Field Oct. 14.

WestConn has now scored at least 50 points three games in a row.

The Rams now hold an overall record of 3-3 and a conference record of 3-2.

Safety Chase Buono said everyone is responsible for the loss.

He said, “You can’t blame either side.

“Honestly, it’s on all of us. It’s not on any individual. It’s us,” Buono added.

The Rams deferred at the coin toss and the Wolves began the first offensive drive of the game.

WestConn traveled 59 yards during their opening drive, ending with a 1-yard rushing touchdown and a successful extra-point attempt.

After the Rams and Wolves alternated two defensive stops each, the Wolves held a 7-0 lead entering the second quarter.

Framingham’s offensive drive, which started in the first quarter, ended with an 18-yard rushing touchdown from running back Devaun Ford.

Ford’s two-point conversion attempt failed and the Wolves held a 7-6 lead.

The Wolves matched the Rams’ touchdown with a drive that ended with a 60-yard touchdown pass. Their successful extra-point attempt increased their lead to 14-6.

Framingham answered back in the following drive.

The Ram’s 65-yard drive ended with a touchdown with a 4-yard run up the gut from Ford for his second of the game.

Despite two holding penalties against Framingham’s offense, Ford’s touchdown and kicker Matthew Farley’s extra-point attempt increased the score to 14-13, still in favor of the Wolves.

Farley made all three of his extra-point attempts of the game and has now made 12 of his 13 attempts this season.

Despite a defensive stop from Framingham, the Rams’ offense did not produce any more scores in the half.

WestConn scored a 48-yard passing touchdown on their final offensive drive of the first half, which only lasted one play.

The Wolves led 21-13 at halftime.

The Rams started the second half with the football.

After Framingham’s offense punted away their first possession of the half, WestConn quickly added another 7 points to the scoreboard.

Despite their secure lead, WestConn’s offense continued their attack. After a defensive stop, the Wolves opted to run a play on fourth down instead of punting away the ball.

The Rams’ defense held strong.

The Wolves’ touchdown was the only score of the third quarter and they led 28-13 going into the fourth quarter.

WestConn increased their lead to 35-13 with another score to start the fourth quarter.

On Framingham’s kick-off return, running back Bibi Ramos ran the ball back for an 81-yard touchdown.

Farley’s successful kick brought the Rams within two scores of the Wolves.

Framingham’s special team scored a kickoff return touchdown in each of their last two games.

Ramos said his teammates made blocks to allow his run.

He said, “We practiced it all week and then we executed.”

After Ramos’ touchdown, a chance for a Rams’ comeback faded.

WestConn scored another touchdown.

The Wolves’ defense then intercepted a pass from the Rams’ quarterback, EJ Nichols, on the following drive.

Their offense capitalized with another touchdown, this one from just one offensive play.

WestConn took a 49-20 lead over the Rams.

The remaining three offensive drives all resulted in touchdowns, two for the Rams and one for the Wolves.

The Wolves beat the Rams 56-34.

After an upcoming bye week, Framingham travels to Mass. Maritime for another MASCAC matchup Oct. 28.

Head Coach Tom Kelley said the bye week allows the team to think about how to improve for the end of the season.

He said, “I would rather just be getting ready for an opponent, and we will.”

Kelley said the last three games are about the seniors and “sending them off on a positive note.”



Commenting has been turned off.
  • Instagram
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
bottom of page