top of page

FSU men’s soccer up and running in 3-1 victory

two opposing soccer players go after a soccer ball
Leighah Beausoleil / THE GATEPOST

By Tyler Wahl

Sports Editor

The Rams men’s soccer team resumed action on home field Sept. 13, taking down the Suffolk Rams 3-1.

Senior goalkeeper Jake Hartshorn started the game off with great defense, blocking a shot from Suffolk’s Brady Sorenson with just over two minutes in the first half.

A clean shot on goal from Rams freshman forward Gustav Hemmingsen exploited holes in the Suffolk defense with over 15 minutes left in the half.

Another shot from FSU whizzed by the goal post only a minute after Hemminsen’s original shot, continuing the offensive pressure against Suffolk.

Suffolk’s net was finally broken when sophomore forward Gabriel Padilla put the first one in, assisted by sophomore defender Lachlan Forgan.

The next eight minutes of play included two fouls, a yellow card, and two offsides between both teams.

The sloppy play stopped two minutes later when FSU had to defend a flurry of shots from the Suffolk offense.

Framingham State eventually started gaining more offensive possessions after a foul by Suffolk. Graduate student midfielder Bryce Nardizzi sent two shots on goal following the foul, but to no avail.

With just over 25 minutes elapsed in the half, the Rams added to their lead off a goal from junior forward Sherak Ayamga.

The goal put Framingham State in a comfortable 2-0 position to end the half. Although Suffolk successfully got off a few shots before the buzzer sounded, they were easily rejected by Hartshorn.

After halftime, both teams immediately got into action with shots being exchanged on both ends of the field.

The first 20 minutes of the second half was scoreless.

Hartshorn was close to making what would have been a highly improbable save, but the seal on the Rams net was finally taken down off a goal by Suffolk’s forward Erik Van Even.

The score read 2-1 with plenty of time left on the clock.

Hartshorn and the FSU defense fought off Suffolk’s attacks late in the second half with grit, and were finally awarded some breathing room when Bryce Nardizzi put in a penalty kick to go up 3-1.

The rest of the match remained largely uneventful, as both goalies swatted away a few shots before time officially expired.

Framingham State handedly took down Suffolk University 3-1 in this non-conference matchup.

Hartshorn felt good about the win, saying, “It’s always a great feeling getting back in the win column especially against a quality side such as Suffolk.”

He shared his outlook for the season. “I personally don’t make a habit of looking too far ahead in our schedule. Our most important game is always the next game.”

Long-time Rams midfielder Bryce Nardizzi also expressed his confidence in his teammates after the game, saying, “Everyone stepped up today. … Our composure was really good because they had momentum and we kept creating offense and were able to get the third to seal it.”

Hartshorn and Nardizzi both made it clear they are looking forward to their first MASCAC conference game.

The men’s soccer team looks to start their conference season strong Sept. 17 at Westfield State.



Commenting has been turned off.
  • Instagram
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
bottom of page