top of page

Ice hockey clings on in the MASCAC

Sara Senesac

Sports Editor

The Rams’ ice hockey team played back-to-back MASCAC games last week as the end of their regular season approaches.

Framingham hosted the Worcester State Lancers for a fast-paced match Feb. 13.

The first period went by quietly, with neither team seeing much scoring opportunity.

The second period exploded when both teams were awarded power plays, and each saw their chance to capitalize.

Worcester saw the first goal of the game in the eighth minute, when three Lancers were able to move the puck down the ice and pass oK to Mark Revniaga for the kill.

The Rams responded just a few short minutes later when sophomore Zach Bettmeng grabbed a loose puck in front of the Worcester net, tying the score at one.

Less than a minute later, the Lancers scored once more, but Bettmeng wasn’t finished yet.

After a missed pass by the Lancers, Bettmeng chased the puck into Worcester’s zone, sent a hard check to the defender, and sent one in to tie the game at two.

After an exciting second period, the third did not disappoint.

Will Ahearn broke the tie for the Lancers less than a minute into the third to put Worcester up once more.

Framingham responded in the fifth minute, when sophomore Bryan Whelan sent one into the back of the net.

The Lancers took the lead again a short minute later, but the Rams had a quick response of their own ready. Junior Ryan Paul scored to tie the game at four at the six-minute mark.

The Rams took the lead for the Erst time just two minutes later, when junior Jack Pierson scored off a pass from freshman Matthew Irwin.

Worcester put up a tough effort for the remainder of the game, but the Rams held on through multiple power plays and an empty Lancers’ net to secure their victory. Framingham ended the night with a 5-4 win.

Both teams were tied with 41 shots for the game, but Rams’ goalie Blake Carlson led with 37 saves. Framingham had four different players score and Eve different players with assists by the end of the match.

The Rams then hosted the Fitchburg State Falcons during Senior Night Feb 15.

Prior to the game, Framingham honored three seniors – Greg Harney, Brenden Williams, and Nick McNally – for their final match on home ice.

The Falcons dominated most of the play for the entirety of the contest. Jordin Holmes scored their first goal just three minutes into the first.

A few moments later, Fitchburg capitalized off a rebound to extend their lead by two.

Pierson managed to come back and cut the lead in half for the Rams, sneaking one in off a pass from sophomore Jake Garman.

At the end of the Erst, the Falcons were able to work off of two different power plays to grab a 4-1 lead over Framingham heading into the second.

Fitchburg added two additional goals during the second, skating through the Rams to hold a 6-1 lead.

The Falcons scored their seventh and final goal of the game in the third. The Rams fought back but were not able to get another goal in for the remainder of the game.

Fitchburg outshot Framingham 47-27 by the end of the match. Harney still managed an impressive 29 saves in net during his final home game.

This loss brings Framingham to 2-13-1 in the MASCAC, and 3-18-2 overall. They travel to Westfield State for their final regular season game Feb. 22.


Yorumlara kapatıldı.
  • Instagram
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
bottom of page