top of page

Men’s basketball celebrates compelling comeback over the Falcons

Adrien Gobin / THE GATEPOST

By Adam Levine

Asst. Sports Editor

The Framingham State Rams defeated the Fisher College Falcons with a score of 73-70 Dec. 6.

The Rams’ Jahden Erold, Ivan Nyantenji, JD Okafor, and Aveon Woods all scored in the double digits.

Framingham head coach Donald Morris Jr. said, “We have good depth - the biggest problem we have is the consistency with the depth.

“It’s about staying consistent in your role,” Morris added.

The game began and Nyantenji scored a three-point field goal. This gave the Rams their first lead of the night.

The Falcons responded with a three-point shot and tied the score 3-3.

With 15:11 remaining in the first half, the Falcons took an 11-5 lead over the Rams.

Framingham continued to battle with Fisher and kept the game close.

Five minutes later, Erold scored a layup and then a three-point field goal. The score was tied 18-18.

Fisher broke away with a 9-0 scoring run over the next 3 minutes.

With 6:50 remaining in the first half, Okafor scored a dunk and stopped the Falcons’ scoring run, but the Falcons held a 27-20 lead.

The Falcons continued to outscore the Rams 16-9 to end the first half.

Fisher’s first-half efficiency gave them a 43-29 lead over Framingham.

The first half began and the Falcons’ Brandy Cross made a three-point shot, which increased their lead to 17 points.

Framingham responded by staging an 11-0 scoring run. This was the largest scoring run by either team throughout the game.

Regarding the team’s scoring run, Erold said, “It started on the defensive end.

“We had to get some stops to create that run and get some fast breaks,” added Erold.

The Rams’ scoring run reduced the Falcons’ lead to six points.

With 13:36 remaining in the second half, the Falcons' Ke’Andre Penceal scored a free throw and increased Fisher’s lead to 12 points.

The Rams countered with 7 unanswered points, which brought the score to 53-48.

The Rams continued to outperform the Falcons.

With 8:12 remaining in the second half, Okafor made a layup, which brought the Rams within 3 points of the Falcons.

The Falcons’ Kyle Butler-Gaffney scored a free throw, but the Rams continued to score.

The Rams’ Erold made a three-point field goal, followed by a layup from Okafor.

With 6:49 remaining in the second half, Framingham took a lead of 60-59 over Fisher. This was the first time that Framingham held a lead since the game's opening basket.

Framingham maintained a steady lead over Fisher in the final minutes of the game.

With seconds left, the Falcons’ Eric Benjamin missed a three-point attempt and the Rams secured their 73-70 second-half comeback win.

After the game, Morris said, “I’ll take a pretty ugly win, rather than a pretty loss.

“We know we did a good job coming out from halftime and adjusting to what we talked about,” Morris added.

The Rams now hold an overall season record of 3-6.

Framingham will travel to Salve Regina for a non-conference matchup on Dec. 11.



Commenting has been turned off.
  • Instagram
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
bottom of page