top of page

Men’s soccer succumbs to Wheaton’s ferocious offense

By Adam Levine

Interim Asst. Sports Editor

The Framingham State Rams fell to a record of 10-5-2 after being shut out 5-0 by the Wheaton College Lyons, Oct. 25.

Wheaton College dominated the Rams in every major statistic. The Rams only attempted seven shots and took just three corner kicks. The Lyons were able to tally 22 total shots and had nine corner kick opportunities.

The match began and Wheaton immediately took command of the ball. Just over five minutes into the game, they lined up for their first corner kick. Although the attempt was unsuccessful, Wheaton kept Framingham on the defensive. At 6:04, Wheaton’s Alasdair Ferrier was assisted by teammate Charlie Stringer and scored the first goal of the match.

In an attempt to tie the game, Rams junior forward Jeffson Malachie took a shot, but it was too high above Wheaton’s net.

Wheaton gained possession of the ball again and controlled the next 15 minutes of the match. The Lyons relentlessly attacked the Rams’ net and took six shots.

The Rams held strong, keeping the score at 1-0 in favor of Wheaton. On the other end of the field, Rams junior defender Cameron Lau took Framingham’s first corner kick of the night.

Framingham was not able to capitalize off of Lau’s corner kick, and the Lyons once again governed the match. In the next 19 minutes of the half, Framingham was fighting off Wheaton’s attacks. The Lyons took another six shots and attempted five corner kicks to end the half.

Right before the half ended, at 43:06, the referee awarded two yellow cards. Wheaton’s Gabriel Fellows and Rams junior midfielder Kunphel Sinha each received a yellow card.

The second half began and the Rams were down 1-0.

Framingham came out of the half and broke through Wheaton’s defense. Both Framingham’s sophomore forward Gabriel Padilla and senior midfielder Jared Nardizzi took shots, but neither resulted in a goal. Padilla’s two corner kicks attempts for Framigham did not help them either, and Framingham received a second yellow card. This time the penalty card was awarded to freshman defender Christian Dinis.

Wheaton profited from this and marched down the field to score their second goal. At 51:23, Ethan Thompson was assisted by both Ethan Alfano and Robert Lloyd to give the Lyons a 2-0 lead.

Between 53:07 and 57:42, the Rams bombarded Wheaton’s net. Nonetheless, their four shot attempts came up short and Framingham received their third yellow card as a team. This time, Nardizzi received a yellow card.

Just three minutes after Nardizzi’s yellow card, Wheaton scored their third goal of the match. Joey Everett assisted his teammate Max Strong and the Lyons extended their lead to 3-0.

At 69:40, Wheaton’s Everett assisted teammate Angus Stringer for Wheaton's fourth goal of the night.

Framingham received the fourth yellow card as a team at 83:54. Another Rams’ foul in the 87th minute of the match gave Wheaton a penalty kick opportunity. Wheaton’s Lucas Goettel scored off of the penalty kick and scored the Lyons’ final goal of the night.

The Rams will host MASCAC competitor Fitchburg State at Bowditch on Oct. 29. Framingham is currently undefeated in the MASCAC, and Lau said that the team is “excited to go undefeated and clinch that win.” He added that it can “lift the team’s spirits” as the Rams look to the playoffs.



Os comentários foram desativados.
  • Instagram
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
bottom of page