top of page

Rams hit bump in the road after torrid start to conference play

By Matt Ferris

Framingham State hosted Worcester State in a MASCAC matchup on Jan. 21.

The Rams jumped out to a quick 6-2 lead, on the backs of Wesley Ogbevoen and Tony Alexandre, who each had three points.

The first half went back and forth for both teams and eventually ended in a 23-23 tie.

Framingham was led in the first half by Tyri Hampton and Ogbevoen. Hampton chipped in seven points while Ogbeveon scored six points.

Paul Brooks led the way for the Lancers with seven first half points and six rebounds.

The Lancers jumped out to a quick lead in the second half converting two free throws and a layup to go up by four but the Rams countered with an 18-5 run to go up 41-32.

Worcester climbed back into the game gradually and eventually tied things up at 50-50 with around five minutes remaining.

With 3:29 remaining in the game, Daniel Gould knocked down a triple for the Rams to put them up 55-52.

But the Lancers would close the game on a 7-0 run to earn their second MASCAC win of the season by a final score of 59-55.

Gould led the Rams with 15 points, adding two rebounds and two assists. Hampton ended with 14 points and Manny Payton rounded out the double-digit scorers for the Rams with 10 points.

Aaron Anniballi had a game-high 20 points off the bench for Worcester. Brooks contributed a game-high 15 rebounds with nine points for the Lancers.

The loss drops the Rams to 6-12 on the season and 3-2 in the conference.

The Rams hosted Fitchburg State in a conference game on Jan. 25.

Framingham came out of the gates early outscoring the Falcons 12-6 in the first seven minutes of the game.

The Rams continued this hot start for the entire first half and went into the locker room up 41-31.

Ogbevoen and Alexandre contributed almost half of the points in the first half for the Rams. They combined for 20 points, 10 rebounds and four assists.

Framingham started the second half on an 8-2 run to go up 49-33 early in the second.

The Falcons battled their way back into the game, eventually tying things up at 53 with around eight minutes remaining.

Down six with a minute left, Gould fired up a triple but missed. Alexandre snatched the offense rebound and converted the put back to go down four.

Following a Framingham timeout, the defense of the Rams forced a turnover with 50 seconds left and converted it into two points with an Ogbevoen layup to cut the deficit to two.

After a foul from Gould, the Falcons missed the front part of a one and one giving the ball back to the Rams. Ogbevoen drove to the basket and Knished a layup to tie the game up at 65 with around 25 seconds remaining.

Framingham forced another turnover with 15 seconds left and got a good look for the win but

Ogbevoen missed the potential game winning triple sending the game to overtime.

It was all Fitchburg in the overtime period. The Falcons outscored the Rams 13-4 in the period and won the game 78-69.

Ogbevoen led the Rams in scoring with 21 while grabbing nine rebounds and adding four assists.

Alexandre put up a double double for the Rams, scoring 18 points with 18 rebounds.

The loss drops the Rams to 6-13 on the season and 3-3 in the MASCAC.



Commenting has been turned off.
  • Instagram
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
bottom of page